Fernox DS3 usage

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I live in a very hard water area, and have obtrusive boiler bumping.

I have given my bonking Flamingo a descale with DS-40, it has removed a small amount of black and brown particles (I tested this by filtering a sample, it leaves a slight residue on the filter paper and leaves the water translucent yellow) but is still bonking. I have an idea it might not be quite as loud.

It is still bonking, so I suspect it still has limescale and plan to use DS40. It is available locally in 250g tubs.

I have closed off all the radiators, so am only cleaning the boiler, cylinder coil and associated pipework, plus there will be 5 litres or so in the F&E.

Any estimates how much DS3 I should use?

Sponsored Links
You seem to have a good idea of how to do it!

Empty almost all the water out of the F&E though.

DS3 only works at a high temperature and will need 2-3 hours with the boiler on an heating the hot water.

Turn up the hot water stat to keep the boiler on for longer and take some baths!

Use about 1/4 of a tub, drain out and repeat a second time. By then it might be much better so you will probably not need to do it a third time.

I expect your boiler is bumping rather than bonking!

Tony

1/4 of a 250g tub? it looks rather small.

I got the ideas from your earlier posts :)

Its very insoluable!

You will find it quite difficult to dissolve even in warm/hot water and if the water cools it crystalises out!

Its best to spoon it neat into a pipe above the boiler if you can so it falls into the HE itself!

Tony

Sponsored Links
But were you think of a quarter of a 2kg tub? i.e 500g per clean?

(two of the baby tubs they sell down here)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back