White precipitate after using DS3

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
I used DS3 last week because of bonking from my Flamingo in this very hard-water area. It was very effective in curing the loud bonking. I gave the syst a good drain, rinse, and two cold refills and drains and it seemed prety clean.

However I noticed some white Precipitate or Sediment in the F&E after a few days. As I was draining down again to fit some new TRVs I stirred it in during the draindown and it all seemed to wash away.

However after fitting the TRVs and refilling, one of them leaked, so I drained down again, hot. The plastic box I used to trap the dregs of water from the rad, the next day I found white sediment in it, stuck to the bottom. it did not rinse away with water, but softened so I could rub it off with my finger.

Does anyone recognise this?

I had used DS40 (but it made no difference) a week or so before the DS3, and rinsed it well. I have been using hard water for the fills and flushes.

Sponsored Links
I think it might be a sulphonate, which I believe is harmless. I'll hit wikipedia and see if I can make sense of it! DS3 is sulphamic acid - start there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back