Flamingo not bonking shock!

Reaction score
Country
Cook Islands
My Flamingo (old iron gas boiler) has been banging and clanking loudly since I bought the house.

The system is very clean and free from sludge, I have used various cleaners and silencers without success in reducing the noise.

I eventually (now the cold weather is probably over) tried 750g of Fernox DS3 acid limescale remover, as advised by Agile (all rads closed). I was unable to be guided by the colour-change indicator as the water was brownish when I started (has had no inhibitor for 10 days since I used DS40) and did not seem to go green or blue. Curiously I got about 5-10ml of black sediment out while the DS3 was working (I drained into a bucket and used a filter to see what was happening). I am guessing that this was trapped in the limescale. It fizzed a bit at the cylinder bleed screw but not much.

Edit: I just put a cup of the acid mixture drained out, into the kettle, and turned it on, the scale started fizzing, so I deduce acidity not exhausted and no need for another treatment.

Today I am shocked to find the boiler is quiet :eek: for the first time in years.

I live in a very hard-water area and tried to get 100litres of de-mineralised water for the final fill, but the person can't be arsed delivering it :(

I suppose I will use the Boiler Silencer and hope this stops it building up again.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back