Few oven and hob questions please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a last minute change of appliances for new kitchen, ended up with a different brand of ovens which are now more curren hungry.

I`ve 2 single ovens to install, 1 being a combi, one a standard, and a hob - rated as follows:

Oven 1 - 2900w
Oven 2 - 3600w
Hob - 5900w

Existing circuit is 10mm, with a 40amp MCB. Current load is a 10.8kw slot in cooker.

My plan is to pop Oven 2 and the Hob on the existing CCU (9500w = 41 amp). The manual states for oven 2 (3.6kw) to protect with a 16 amp or greater - I assume that it will be fine on the 40amp mcb with the hob?

With diversity applied, would I get away with spuring a 13amp single socket from the CCU in 6mm for Oven 1 on the same circuit, which would be protected with its 13amp plug?

I have a spare 32amp in the CU which I was going to use to put the kitchen on its own ring, but I`m now thinking about using this on a 4mm radial and leaving the kitchen ring as it is, but putting the most power hungry kitchenappliances on the kitchen radial.

If its pushing it to put Oven 1 on the Cooker circuit, how about I put oven 1 on the radial, along with a side by side fridge freezer, tumble dryer and outside garden feed for lighting (400watt)?

Thanks for any advice!

Sponsored Links
If you can get more cables to the CU easily enough, then I'd perhaps consider fitting a bigger one and fitting two 20A circuits for the two ovens (while its possible that you could use diversity and fit everything on one 40A circuit, think about how you'd make the connection and fuse things down for smaller cables...)

You plan on doing notifiable work, so may as well do the CU as well... on that note I trust you have spoken to the BC and they are happy to accept your name on an EIC?

Adam_151 said:
If you can get more cables to the CU easily enough, then I'd perhaps consider fitting a bigger one and fitting two 20A circuits for the two ovens (while its possible that you could use diversity and fit everything on one 40A circuit, think about how you'd make the connection and fuse things down for smaller cables...)

You plan on doing notifiable work, so may as well do the CU as well... on that note I trust you have spoken to the BC and they are happy to accept your name on an EIC?

Thanks for the replay, but you don`t really address the post contents, other then replace the CU (its new and was not even mentioned as a problem) and that its notifiable work....

One oven is a 13amp pintop anyway, so why would I put that on a 20amp dedicated MCB when it could go on the existing ring or new radial if I didn`t convert the existing 10mm into a sub/main with 30/16mcbs.

Thanks anyway.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back