Oven and hob circuits overrated?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a new kitchen and am replacing my exisiting ceramic hob(5.5Kw) and oven (2.5Kw) with an new hob (6.2 Kw) and oven (2.5kw). It seemed straight forward enough but I am unsure about the existing circuits as they seem over rated. Is this a problem? My existing connections are: Hob 45A CCU on a radial circuit protected by a 40A MCB. The oven is also on its own radial circuit using a seperate 45A CCU procteced by a 40A MCB. I believe that they both use 6mm² cable. Is this ok or should i get this changed?

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid the answer to that question is maybe, maybe not.

There are a lot of factors involved, but if you can supply the following information we should be able to give you a definitive answer:

1. Is the cable run clipped directly to a wall, in conduit, or in insulation for any of its length?
2. How long is the cable run between the CU and the Hob/Oven?
3. Are the cables run separately or grouped together?

In fact the main question here is not the 6mm cable - your new hob only needs approx 27A which 6mm will take fine. The issue is whether the cable as it is currently run should be protected with a 40A MCB or not.

The table here shows that the cable rating might be anywhere from 32 to 46 A, depending on the factors above.

Running the new appliances will be very unlikely to cause danger, as they should not overload the cable in any case, but it would still be good practise to check the figures and downrate the MCBs if necessary.

Hope that helps

Gavin

Thanks Gavin

The cables run seperately loosely behind plasterboard down underneath the floorboards where i would assume that that they run along the joists but without lifting them couldn't tell you for sure. The max cable run to the consumer unit would be approx 7m as its only a 2 bed flat.

ok, in that case you should be fine with the current setup, as long as there is no insulation covering the cable at any point.

I would probably have put a 32A breaker in, but your situation seems to comply and I would certainly not call it dangerous.

Gavin

Sponsored Links
The hob should be on a 32 amp MCB.

The oven should be on a 16 amp MCB AND/OR a 13 amp FCU fitted locally to the oven (perhaps in place of the CCU)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back