Few question On Elastilon

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have just purchased some 180mm wide, 21mm thick French Oak and would like to ask a few questions regarding laying with Elastilon.

I am laying onto a concrete floor which did have those black tiles on but we have removed those as some was loose, and this had left us with a tar like substance which is dry (although did smell!) so its pretty level. The room in question being covered is my living room.

My questions are:
1. Which is the best way, looking at it wise to lay the floor? ...lenght ways as you walk into the room?
2. I have read you have to lay a membrane down before you lay the Elastilon? ...what type and where is the best place to purchase?
3. Do you glue anything? ie the ends or the first two rows and if so what with?
4. The width of the Elastilon? ...is the 3mm Basic suitable for my kind of flooring?
5. The cheapest place to purchase Elastilon?
Thank you in advance :D

Sponsored Links
Trying to email you our answer to the question mailed to us, but part of the network system is down.
No use writing the answer here, was redirecting you to an article about removing bitumen (tar) on one of our websites - but those are down too :evil: :evil:

Suffice to say: if you plan to install directly onto the tar you are asking for trouble in the (near) future

Thanks for getting back to me.
I did receive your email and have looked at the article on tar.
I dont want to glue down the floor but to float it using Elastilon. Does that make any difference?
I'm getting so confused.....I asked at the place where i purchased the Elastilon from and he called the supplier who said I could place it directly onto the tar with no membrane, I also called Elastilon direct whom did say I should remove the tar but if not I could use it with a membrane.
I guess in the end I do know the answer as I'm worried because of the smell and I will have to remove it :cry: Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Well, that's one supplier I would never use again ;) The manufacturer knows best and should in fact educate its suppliers better!

good luck and have a look at the other stickies above on screeding your floor properly.

Sorry me again! :oops:
I have just called a shot blaster and he said it would make far to much mess and ruin the walls :cry: .......so covering the floor with neoprimer primer it my next option? I have just googled this and is it the same as neoprene primer?
Would this be enough to "seal in" the tar? It is a thin layer (looks like it was painted on) and the floor is level so would I still need to use a levelling compound? Thank you again in advance

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back