Oak Floor - have I got it right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've ordered a 21mm x 160mm solid oak, t&g floor with a brushed and oiled finish which I am going to lay myself and would like confirmation that I am going about it the right way.

I'm laying it in my lounge (5.6x5.2m) which has a 65mm screed on a DPM over a beam and block (suspended) floor. The house is 15 years old so presumably the screed is dry!

I intend to lay the boards floating using Elastilon underlay and, if anyone advises it, I am open to the suggestion of a polythene DPM and/or a foam type underlay under the Elastilon.

I will allow the boards to acclimatise for at least 7 days and at this time of year are they likely to have a high or low moisture content? Would it be a good idea to try to stretch the Elastilon (as mentioned on their website)so that the boarding is under tension right from the start?

Has anyone got any comments or suggestions?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Roofer said:
I intend to lay the boards floating using Elastilon underlay and, if anyone advises it, I am open to the suggestion of a polythene DPM and/or a foam type underlay under the Elastilon.
Elastilon doesn't come with an integrated DPM, so you should use a separate DPM layer first.

Roofer said:
I will allow the boards to acclimatise for at least 7 days and at this time of year are they likely to have a high or low moisture content?
If the wood has a normal moist content when it arrives at your home (between the allowed 8 - 12%) after 7 days it will have adjusted to the humidity of your house i.e. is your home climate has a high humidity your wood will absorb that and vice versa. But 9 times out of 10 in this season (heating season, dry air outside) the humidity will be low.

Roofer said:
Would it be a good idea to try to stretch the Elastilon (as mentioned on their website)so that the boarding is under tension right from the start?
Follow their instructions, they - Dutch ;) - have invented the stuff and know best ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back