Fiat grande punto 1.3jtd shakes on acceleration

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My fiat grande punto has started shaking when accelerating I believe it may be worn drive shafts as it's coming from the front and only does it between 2000-3000 revs and when you drop down below 2000 revs it stops. I've checked the engine mountings and they don't seem loose. If it is the drive shaft is it a big job to sort and any ideas on how to do it. Any ideas/ advice will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Personally I'd check the wheel bearings over thoroughly first, together with any ball joints on the suspension wishbone.
You may be correct of course but I'd get professional advice before jumping in....driveshafts aren't so bad to change at the end of the day.
John :)

Thanks for the reply surely if it was the wheel bearings it would do it more or less constantly no?

Usually wheel bearing wear shows up as a droning sound, that gets louder when you turn a corner.....drive shaft wear usually starts as a rattle when you turn on full lock.
Personally I've never come across your symptoms so it's only a guess, but an experiment would be to solidly jack the front of the car up and allow the wheels to spin at the troublesome RPM, looking for things that are spinning out of balance. You don't say if this happens in all gears?
Are any of the wheel balance weights missing?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for your reply I have had the wheels balanced checked the engine mounts and everything seems right I was thinking it could be the cv joints that were worn but the gaiters look ok so not sure it does it in all gears from 2500 to 4000rpm most noticeable in fourth but I think that is because speeding up to get on the motorway is the time when you need that Rev range the most.

No buckled wheels (check the inside rim for kerbing) or dodgy tyres, out of round maybe?
I'm only suggesting these because I've never had driveshaft issues like this.....let's hear what the others say!

Sorry I should have mentioned that in the original post that was my first thought so I bought two new alloys but it didn't cure it no difference and £100 down that's what led me to think about cv/driveshaft ? Thanks for your replies by the way it's always good to have a second brain on the case.

Throw the back wheel on the front and see if it moves. Then get the wheel balanced. Work from there ................

Please keep an open mind to the cause, its not very helpful listing off all the work that has been carried out, we are just trying to point you in the right direction.
If drive shaft joints, it usually get extremely worse when cornering?
Suspension bushes OK?
Fuel starvation, can you accelerate out of it?

Sponsored Links
Back