Fiat Punto Battery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I drive about in a fiat punto 1.2 R reg. If I dont use it for 3 days or so I find that the battery has gone dead, especially in this weather, and I need to get the jump leads out.
I have been told that it is a battery problem as opposed to the alternator.
Do you think this is so?
What is a good make and price for a new battery for this sort of car?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Are your glove box/interior/boot lights switching off correctly?

Sponsored Links
DanRo,

I am no mechanic but here's a few suggestions from when I had similar problem with my car:

1. When you leave the car for a few days, try disconnecting the battery leads before you leave it. If the battery is still flat after it this suggests the battery maybe worn out rather than a short circuit or drain (e.g. boot light left on).

2. Check if the battery has sufficent water in it (if it's not sealed).

3. When the car has been used or you have charged it using a batter charger, take it to a garage or motor factor and ask them to test the battery. If it smells of eggs (Hydrogen Suplphide) or any cells fizz when they test it one or more cells may be worn out. With the battery fully charged they should be able to tell how well it holds it's charge.

I am not sure how true it is but I have been told that fast charging an iffy battery at a high current in a short time as motor factors and garages do or putting a drop test on a batter may finish it off. Cold weather means car electrics put a heavier load on the battery (engine takes more to start, heaters, heated screens e.t.c) along with sitting idle can knock batteries out quicker.

Hope this is of use.

Martin

Back