Fiat Punto battery flat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all :)

My wife has a 2001 Fiat Punto 1.2 8v. Last winter the battery was nearly always flat even after charging so I purchased a new battery. Now it sometimes starts sometimes not as the battery is almost flat. The car gets used most days for short runs if it starts but even after a long run the next day it only just manages to turn the engine over. Now with the cold weather here I think I will try to fix it. Do you think it will be the alternator? If so is it easy to fix and how much are they? I have looked to see if boot light is staying on but it goes off and the sony radio switches off with the ignition.

cheers

Will

Sponsored Links
You need to do some checks first of all
1 check the alternator drive belt is in good condition and tight enough
2 Visually check wiring connections on the alternator
3 Check earth connections from battery to chassis
4 Check earth connections from battery to engine or chassis to engine
(checking connections may involve removing bolts to check connections aren't corroded, or check with a voltmeter)
5 Check that the battery charge warning light is there when you switch on ignition, and that it fully extinguishes when the engine starts
6 Check the voltage across the battery terminals, should be around 12 volts with engine switched off and increase to around 14 volts with the engine running (engine may need to be running at fast tickover)
7 Don't rule out the battery just because it was replaced last year, it could be duff

8 It could also be a faulty starter motor

9 Good Luck

Sponsored Links
Andy has pretty well covered it but if you think it is being discharged overnight, disconnect one battery lead and connect a meter on the amps range between the battery and the lead, you will probably find that there are a few milliamps flowing but anything more than about 100 indicates a problem - dont turn the ignition on while you are doing this. You could try just disconnecting the battery at night and reconnecting it in the morning.

Back