Fiat Punto 55 overheating unless Heater on Full bLast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
I have a punto 55s 1996 and yesterday the temp light came on and it shed loads of water. I filled up after cooling then managed to get home. I then saw that a pipe at the bottom seemed to be coming away from the radiator so tightened this up but the problem persisted. I also undid the little turn screw at the top of the radiator (as if to bleed it) and hot water gushed out intermittently until it stopped. I then drove again but the problem persisted. I then had to drive 20 + miles and managed this with more water and the heater on full blast which made me sweat like crazy but managed to get the car home with only a sluggish feeling to the acceleration. Is this due to an air blockage or the head gasket or something else more sinister? PLease help :cry:

Sponsored Links
Has the cooling system ever been flushed out ?
Does the water pump still work ?

HI How do i check that the water pump is working and how would i flush out??

I am no mechanic but can do simple jobs

Cheers

Sponsored Links
and check if your radiator is full of water up to the cold level line.

If the expansion bottle is full thet's a start, but you need (with the engine cold) to remove the radiator cap as well to be sure.

I think that the fan has stopped working as i have not seen it go round yet whenever i have lifted the bonnet. Is there a way to test this?? would this cause the car to overheat quickly like it tends to?? There is no oil in my water and no water in my oil as far as i can tell and how much would it cost to get a new water pump fitted at a garage??
Thanks for the tips so far too it is much appreciated

Lee :)

I think that the fan has stopped working as i have not seen it go round yet whenever i have lifted the bonnet. Is there a way to test this?? would this cause the car to overheat quickly like it tends to??

would this cause the car to overheat quickly like it tends to??

what do you think that fan is for ?

Sponsored Links
Back