fiat punto R reg over heating

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there ive got a 1.2 R reg fiat punto that keeps on over heating. ive tried everything i can think of. ive changed the fan, the heat sensor, the radiator and its been bled sooooo many times. ive now come to the conclusion the water pump has gone as ive just bled it again and i thought i had fixed it as the temp had hardly moved and i was getting hot air from the heater again as i wasnt before, so i took it for a spin and i pulled over and left the engine running and it got to the quater mark so at that point i went home wich was 1 minute away and the temp was nearly at the 3/4 mark by the time i had got home. so i slowly opend the water filler cap on the right side of the radiator an the water was boiling. im thinking it could be that the water isnt getting round the car properly hence the boiling water? could anybody please help me, ive hit a dead end now, thanks

Sponsored Links
You don't mention the thermostat so replace that first.....
Are there any signs of oil in the coolant? If so, suspect a blown head gasket. Water pumps do fail, but I'm not sure about early Punto ones - it will mean timing belt off to get to it.
John :)

its worth a shot coz from what i can gather new thermostats arent that expensive. are they easy to fit? as for the water its not crystal clear but its not black. thank you for replying

The thermostat is usually under a bolted cover, on the engine side of the top radiator hose - simple enough to replace.
I'm a little curious - as you say you've had a new radiator - the coolant water should be pretty clean, really. Anyway - stat first!

Sponsored Links
thats why its a pressure cap, it keeps the water under pressure to stop it boiling, most cars run just under this point (well the ones I have had do)

my car runs at 90degC but can raise to just under this under strain, the pressure cap keeps it from bubbling (the bubbles would cause problems)

I would go with the thermostat theory first, its usually the first port of call for overheat issues.

ok ill give it a go. ive also noticed that on the oil cap theres white goo around the cap which ive heard isnt good is it?

The white goo you mention is called mayonnaise in the trade - its actually an oil/water emulsion caused by condensates within the engine. Its rarely a sign of head gasket issues on its own, and all petrol engines do it.
The only way to avoid it is to do many long, hot runs so the condensate boils off.

The white goo you mention is called mayonnaise in the trade - its actually an oil/water emulsion caused by condensates within the engine. Its rarely a sign of head gasket issues on its own, and all petrol engines do it.
The only way to avoid it is to do many long, hot runs so the condensate boils off.

It's created on short journeys, but is a sign of a head gasket problem, especially on engines that overheat!

Get your car to a mechanic to do a gas test analyser, they will see if engine fumes are in the radiator, and if so, your HG is fubar.

Sponsored Links
Back