Fiat Punto strarting problem (fixed, speed sensor connector)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2004 reg Punto petrol.

It turns over no bother but sometimes just won't fire up.

Are there any known issues issues with these cars?

Sponsored Links
When the engine eventually starts, how does it run......is it smooth at tick over? Will it start ok after the first start of the day?
John :)

Its my nephew's first car, he got it yesterday from a friend of my sister so at least he knows the car's history.

The previous had trouble recently once when it wouldn't start.

He picked the car up and parked it outside the house and last night when they were going to put in the garage, it cranked but wouldn't start then this morning it started no bother.

It runs smoothly even when started cold.

I haven't looked under the bonnet yet but I'm assuming only things serviceable will distributor cap, plugs and leads?

There's very little serviceable these days ignition wise......it's a good idea to replace the spark plugs of course but usually distributors and HT leads don't exist anymore, relying instead on each cylinder having it's own ignition coil pack.
I can't comment on that particular engine, of course...it depends on how old it is.
Personally I'd be looking at fuel pump issues (often you can hear the things whirring for a few sec when the ignition is turned on) or immobiliser issues, god forbid.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
If it has stop & start then the battery may be cream crackered.
I'm in need of buying my 3rd battery in 3 years because of it, the Punto has a bad rep for this.

The Fiatforum.com has a section just for the punto.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean by stop & start?

This is the first Fiat I've had my hands on although in my opinion, my nephew has done well for his first car, its quite a plush little motor.

Stop start is the new gismo on the block. When you stop at the lights, the engine stops, starting automatically when you go to pull away.

As if you haven't enough trouble ...................

I'd consider immobiliser so try sapping it a few times, then no spark or fuel as already said. Keep in mind the immobiliser will have control over one or both if its turned off.

Many a friendship scuppered over a Fiat .............................. :LOL:
Can you deny hes your nephew, would that work?

This stop/start gizmo, it has its own battery?

..... where do I find this battery?

It just uses the standard battery which is heavy duty, combined with a heavy duty starter motor, usually.

So this stop/start gizmo is powered from the car battery?

Its not the problem then since the battery cranks the engine no bother at all.

Definitely not the problem with the Fiat, sorry I didn't explain it very well.

Problem identified at long last.

There's a cable down to a speed sensor at the front end of the crankshaft which sensors off a sprocket wheel.

This lead is connected via three pin plug, top LHS of the engine, into the car's harness.

The car wouldn't start again earlier this week and when I rattled the connector, the car engine fired up, albeit with some misfires.

I pulled the plug apart, sprayed WD40 and wiped the pins with fine emery and the car is now starting nicely.

The problem happened again yesterday.

I pulled the connector plug apart, reconnected it and the engine started.

Although I wiped the contacts with emery again, I suspect the problem may be a dry solder connection in either the plug or socket of the connector.

Sponsored Links
Back