Fiesta screeches without starting sometimes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 1996 Ford Fiesta 1.3 makes a loud screeching sound occasionally when I try to start it. It only makes this noise when it doesn't start, when it does start it makes no screeching noise and starts perfectly.
I've changed the starter motor 3 times once with a new ring gear too(very costly) but the problem came back each time after a few weeks.
Sometimes it only does it once other times it's 3 ,4, even 5 times in a row before starting.
With other peoples help we think the problem could be some sort of muck or possibly clutch dust making the starter stick. It seems to be better after a lot of dry weather but thats just my feeling.
I'd really like to know if theres anyone out there whos had the same problem and fixed it.

Sponsored Links
Is it a pre-engage starter, or a Bendix starter?

On a Bendix starter, the pinion is thrown into engagement with the ring gear by inertia, which causes it to run along a helical spline against a spring when the starter motor turns.
Any oil, grease or clutch dust could gum up the works enough for the pinion to stick on the spline. The splined shaft usually should be clean and dry, with a bit of graphite powder for lubrication.

A pre-engage motor has solenoid attached to the side of it to engage the pinion before it feeds full power to the starter motor to turn the engine. If the setup is a bit out, the starter may get to full power before the pinion is engaged, so the pinion just bounces off the ring gear.

Son had same problem about 18 months ago on 4 yr old fiesta.
Changed starter motor and problem disappeared only to return after a few weeks. Put up with it again for considerable time until Ford garage carried out service and reported the already known problem.
It was explained it had been fitted with new starter. Garages response, was that only a genuine ford replacement would solve it, but could not explain why?
Decision was made to have ford garage fit ford replacement and guess what? It's been ok now for about 5 months.
:rolleyes:

Son had same problem about 18 months ago on 4 yr old fiesta.
Changed starter motor and problem disappeared only to return after a few weeks. Put up with it again for considerable time until Ford garage carried out service and reported the already known problem.
It was explained it had been fitted with new starter. Garages response, was that only a genuine ford replacement would solve it, but could not explain why?
Decision was made to have ford garage fit ford replacement and guess what? It's been ok now for about 5 months.
:rolleyes:

Thanks, very interesyting.
I went to my Ford garage today, they told me my car should have been recalled when it was under warenty by the previous owner as this version(1996 1.3 Fiesta) had a faulty starter from manufacture. Too late now but did say it might help to change the starter to a Ford one as the gears might fit together better, but might have to change ring gear cos I've had that changed too, they'd charge about £600! or £300 just for starter.
Am considering getting a mechanic friend to buy the Ford starter and fit it for me, hoping it works, depends how much it costs.

Sponsored Links
Is it a pre-engage starter, or a Bendix starter?

A pre-engage motor has solenoid attached to the side of it to engage the pinion before it feeds full power to the starter motor to turn the engine. If the setup is a bit out, the starter may get to full power before the pinion is engaged, so the pinion just bounces off the ring gear.

I think it's this one cos I was told the starter comes with a solenoid built in.
If this is the problem how can I alter the set up so it isn't 'a bit out'. Could a proper Ford starter motor make the difference.

Back