fiesta thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello I am new to this forum. I have just bought my other half a fiesta ghia from the auction but driving home the tempreture guage seems to get hot.Ive checked the water seems fine no leaks oil fine no sign of gasket trouble. I just wondered if it could be the themostat if so is it difficult to change the engine is a 1998 zetec s 1.25 hope someone can help me thanks for any help

Sponsored Links
Hello
Is the fan kicking in at all? Should kick in when tempreture gauge reaches halfway or so. If it isnt, could be a faulty fan or fan tempreture switch.

If it is kicking then it could be a number of things such as air in the system.

Thermostat itself isnt hard to chnage, get the thermostat and gasket from a good store or dealer and it takes about half an hour to change. Note that when you remove the housing in which the thermostat is held you will find the thermostat will be stuck and will not budge, basically you have to force it out with a screw driver or something.

Hope that helps

Shab

If you are sure engine is not getting too hot its probably temp sender unit (small round unit takes 13mm spanner/socket to remove)single wire connected usually found near thermostat

thanks for the advice guys,what Iwould like to know now is should I change the thermostat first and see if that works,another thing is it seems to get hot when I am stuck in traffic jam it goes up to the red, on clear road it seems fine its a puzzle to me,I would just like to know what to try. thanks mick

Sponsored Links
Yes it could be the thermostat but approach it this way:-
First check the fan cuts in: open the bonnet, start the car and use the accelerator to put it on fast idle (i.e. not racing), once the engine warms up the fan should cut in. This should be before the temp gauge gets high.
If the fan is working OK but the temp gauge is high then its probably the sender unit as jayzee mentions.
If the fan is not working then you probably need a new fan sender unit (on top of the thermostat).
If the fan is working and the temp gauge is OK then replace the thermostat.

if the water is cold in exspasion vessel or not boiling and the gauge is in red sounds like sender i have had 2 go on fiestas. they ever make gauge read hot or read cold . cheap and easy to change

Back