Fill in disused drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Couldn't find a drains category...
Am I allowed to fill in a disused drain that takes gutter water from a small section of roof. I have rerouted drainpipe. The drain in question is on a path at side of house. It is only 1.5m from a main inspection cover. When house was built they could have easily decided to route this part into front of house but instead it goes round the side of house.
My slight concern is 'gases build up' however there are two in use drains at front of property 3-5m away. Actually if there is a u bend in these drains my comment about gases is irrelevant.
I would fill in with a light breeze block then cement, so that if the drain was ever required in future it would be relatively easy to Re reveal
Does this sound OK?
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
No soakaways. I have rerouted it to front of house (in reality I'm using waterbutts with proper overflow system) but ignoring that fact...
Let's say all my roof water goes down two drains at the front of house, so the drain on the side is absolutely redundant.
Ill take a photo if necessary...
You can now see type of drains at front(both in use), the redundant drain, and the shot of house shows how the right hand drain pipe kinks round side of house. Next summer I may well shorten the Swan shape and just send it down front so that overall shape is simplified.
That's the situation
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20220906_184853.jpg
    IMG_20220906_184853.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_20220906_184813.jpg
    IMG_20220906_184813.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_20220906_184838.jpg
    IMG_20220906_184838.jpg
    519.6 KB · Views: 50
Might be worth using a drain cap/bung and some form of removable access cover, just in case?

Sponsored Links
OK thanks, by this I think you mean something to stop cement or equ going down drain. My intention is to fill it with something fairly removable eg to lightly cement in a light building block.

I seem to have replied from my other account.
Anyway, thanks for all the replies

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back