Filler Bleeding Through Matt Emulsion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
dave1953 wrote (in the Best Filler topic originated by george0401 on 4.9.2008):

easy fill is the best I have used,very easy to apply and rubbing down is a cinch, if painting over it then it needs sealing or it grins through the emulsion as they all do

I too have had this problem of filler showing through - even if I thin the emulsion down and brush it on the filler a couple of times (and wait to dry) prior to rolling. I've used lots and lots of filler (easi-fill actually). Can you recommend if an oil based undercoat should be used to stop the easi-fill "bleeding" through? If so, I'll need to apply it to all the walls in the bedroom as there's a lot of easi-fill! Just wondering what brand and should the oil UC be thinned with owt - and by how much?

Also, I'm using Dulux retail. Is there any advantage to using trade - better coverage?

Much appreciated.

Ta,

3rd.[/quote]

Sponsored Links
Here's a picture of the problem. Despite using the close up facility on the camera, the picture doesn't show up the filler bleeding through the Dulux retail magnolia very well (if at all).

I hope someone can reply, as I'm painting the room tomorrow, and I'm not sure how to hide the filler showing through. :(

Ta very much,

3rd.

the next coat should cover it entirely, if you start spotting it in with undercoat then it will cause more problems eg you will have to spot the undercoat in with emulsion - more hassel than it is worth.

when you use filler it is just a repair, if you scrutinize the final coat from every angle you will be able to to tell where its been used but it shouldn't catch your eye and it will look allot better than if you hadn't used filler at all.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back