Filler for wooden front door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of doing up my 1930's wooden front door, the door has a porch and upvc doors in front of it so it not actually an external door. I have stripped all of the paint and am looking to fill the joints with a flexible filler before priming and glossing the door. As the filler needs to be as flexible as possible would using a polyester filler such as metolux be best or something like repair care dry flex? It may be a bit excessive but could the sika 291i marine sealant fit the bill? Flexibility is the most important factor but ease of application is also important.

Thanks for any suggestions

Sponsored Links
I would go for epoxy resin filler. Timbabuild is cheaper than Repair Care.

http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/Timbabuild-products-online/TIM4701

You will also need the cartridge gun

http://www.sealantsonline.co.uk/Products/Timbabuild-products-online/TIM4703

The "rapid" drying version is much easier to sand and more flexible than the "slow" dry version. Don't mix too much as it may go off before you get to use it all. Don't mix too little either as you may not get enough catalyst to help it cure. Extrude the first 5cm and bin it (as per the instructions).

Use plastic filling knifes, when cured you can peel away the remnants on the knives..

You may want to use a DA sander connected to a dust extractor. The slow dry version is much, much harder than 2 pack filler. You can hand sand the rapid version but a sander will make life much easier.

Thanks very much, opps I'll take a look at Timbabuild.

Is the Osmo water based wood filler any good or are there any other one part fillers that are worth using?

Thanks very much, opps I'll take a look at Timbabuild.

Is the Osmo water based wood filler any good or are there any other one part fillers that are worth using?

TBH, I have never used the Osmo filler so I can't comment on it. If you do decide to use that, I'd appreciate the feedback.

Sponsored Links
With regard to the Sika

http://www.pbo.co.uk/gear/which-adhesive-sealant-is-best-20877

There are a number of MS polymer sealants that cost less. Just be aware that although they all say they can be painted over, most need coating with waterbased primer first. The likes of CT1 and Everbuild Puraflex 40 make oil based paint stay tacky for weeks. I often use those kind of products for the edge cracks in door panels. Some however are extremely thick and difficult to apply evenly (eg Timbabuild Putty replacement) or may be extremely sticky (eg Sikaflex).

You may want to buy a tub of decorating wipes (eg WonderWipes).

Extremely thick or sticky and difficult to apply rules out MS polymer sealants so thanks for the info.

In addition to the Osmo wood filler, I'm thinking about trying Toupret wood filler, Cuprinol Trade All Purpose Wood filler and Prestonett Ready Mixed Wood Filler. Have you any experience of these products?

I had a chat with a friend who suggested using the Osmo Exterior Sealer which is a siliconised one part acrylic sealant but I'm not sure about over coating with gloss paint.

Sorry, not all MS polymers are thick. I used the example to warn you that they are not all the same.

I haven't used any of the fillers that you have mentioned. AFAIK, none of them are flexible though.

I believe that that the Osmo "caulk" is paintable, and I suspect that it may be an MS polymer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back