Filling a Drained System after extended time

Is boiler highest point on the system? If so you could clean out the f&e tank and let the ball valve fill it and flush through the system for an hour or so with a low drain cock open. See what condition water is as it comes out and then take a view about removing a high up rad and a low down rad to flush through out of situ before doing the lot!

Sponsored Links
I had to drain my Central Heating system down to remove radiators/decorate etc. Unfortunately it has been drained down for far longer than expected due to certain delays, 12 months now.

I plan to flush each radiator manually before refilling, but should I be concerned about the rust that and sludge that will have accumulated in the radiators and pipework even after flushing through?

The system is a gravity fed system with open tanks in the loft and a modern-ish (2009) Glowworm heat only boiler. It does not have a filter on it.

I am worried about powering up the system again and the pumping lots of crap round the system and maybe damaging the heat exchanger.

Should I be concerned? What steps, if any, should I take to mitigate any issues?
Rip it out and fit combi if you only have 1 bathroom

Rip it out and fit combi if you only have 1 bathroom

This may be on the to do list in the future.....but for now....I am sticking with this. The boiler itself is only 7 years old. A modern condensing heat only boiler.

Is boiler highest point on the system? If so you could clean out the f&e tank and let the ball valve fill it and flush through the system for an hour or so with a low drain cock open.

I was considering that as an option, but the boiler is not the highest point of the system. Tank is in in the loft, boiler in the kitchen. So I assume letting it drain through with an open valve is not advisable as it would just flush all the crap through the boiler first.

You could isolate the boiler from the system to prevent this but would need to rig a drain from the flow and return to the boiler to flush these out too. You could rig your own DIY flush using hoses etc. Need to take a view depending on what comes out of rads when you first drop the system. Isolate boiler is the only way you'll prevent gunk above finding its way into the hex.

Sponsored Links
I flushed one radiator, and apart from a bit of rust coloured water....it did not seem that bad really. I will have to flush a few more to get a better idea.

Ahh, I thought that makes it more difficult to flush and clean the magnet out, i.e you have to drain the system to clean it.

But, looking at their videos, I assume this is the scenario sans valve:

I assume another option is to fit my own 22m full bore valves before and after the filter.

I have one and a problem I find is the awkwardness of the filter drain valve. You have to take off the blanking cap and use that as the spanner to turn the valve. Fine if you have good easy access, but if you drop the cap/spanner and lack the isolation valves - whilst you are looking for the cap/spanner you have the water flooding out.

My valve is next to the boiler, which is near the ceiling in the kitchen. I have to stand on the worktop to access it and the cap/spanner is not very hand friendly easy to drop. I emailed Fernox to explain the issue and ask if they offer a better spanner, but they didn't reply. Obvious solution is to fit a valve with a proper handle which is fixed.

My valve is next to the boiler, which is near the ceiling in the kitchen. I have to stand on the worktop to access it and the cap/spanner is not very hand friendly easy to drop. I emailed Fernox to explain the issue and ask if they offer a better spanner, but they didn't reply. Obvious solution is to fit a valve with a proper handle which is fixed.

A lot are like yours. I just use a small adjustable spanner.

Either that or a screwdriver if it is slotted.

No slot, its a small oblong shape with rounded ends rather like this - ( ) with flat top and bottom. That is slightly recessed/ set below the surrounding surfaces, so it is not easy to get a grip of it with anything but the cap made to fit it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back