Filling cracks and gaps before painting - help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to re paint the whole of my house - some of which has had professional work so is fine and other rooms that are as brought. There are occasional cracks on walls/ceilings. most small but some a couple of cm (where plaster has come loose).

I was told by a plasterer that I should use silicone for the cracks as poly filla would just recrack. Reading online there is also Caulk...Not sure of difference. So my questions are:

1) to make good the old walls with small cracks do i use silicone (which?) or caulk (which?)?

2) I i need to make crack bigger to get a good fill?

3) do I need to prime these with pva / plaster paint before painting?

4) for rest of house plastered by professionals do I prep with watered down paint (50:50), watered down PVA (what mix), or just get dulux plaster sealant?

Cheers all.

H

Sponsored Links
1/ Don't use silicon on the walls or you paint won't stick, use a decent caulk as long as the crack isn't too wide or deep.

2/ Sometimes it is better to rake out a crack so that the filler has something to grip to

3/ Never put PVA on a wall that you intend to paint or you will have problems later.

4/ On raw plaster or anywhere that you have filled a thinned down coat of matt emulsion is needed to act as a base coat prior to the finishing coats. 30 % dilution is all that is needed.

5/ Don't listen to plasterers giving decorating advice.. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back