Filling for a hollow door??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just made a mistake and I'm hoping someone here can tell me how to fix it.

I just had a new Jeld-wen two panel white oak door hung in my bathroom and decided to the first of three robe hooks to it. After drilling the first hole for the plug, I discovered the door is 100% hollow where I want the hooks. Dho!!!

Now, I have a new door with an ugly little hole in it. Rather than patch the door, I thought perhaps there is some material that I could use to fill the door with. Some liquid that expands and gets really hard. Is there anything like this? Any ideas??

Sponsored Links
could try these and hang the hooks

p1398822_l.jpg

That plug looks good, but the problem is that the door is hollow. There's nothing for the plug to grab onto. The wood is just about 4mm thick then it's just air. Ideally, I'd like to fill the hole with some kind of expanding foam material that gets very hard.

Thing is... not sure if such a material exists.

it does and dont use it. the force of it expanding will split the door apart literally.

why not make a patress for the hooks (a fancy block of wood for all three to screw into) which can then be glued to the door

Sponsored Links
I considered that. Perhaps in the end, I'll have to go that route.

I did consider the bit about the foam expanding and splitting the door to bits. Hmm... We can put a man on the moon, but....

there is plugs avalable last time i went into this senario with simmilar suggestions JASONB :LOL: came along with the rawplug type plugs that are sutable

big-all said:
there is plugs avalable last time i went into this senario with simmilar suggestions JASONB :LOL: came along with the rawplug type plugs that are sutable
You almost right, it was MASONA ;) :LOL:

See this for Hollow Door Fixing

MASONA: Thanks, this could be the trick. the plugs that came with this were number 6 as well.

Have you used this in hollow doors yourself? The only concern I have is the facing is only like 4mm thick. Do you guys think this will be able to hold towels and dressing gowns without breaking the wood?

I put hooks on the 2 hollow doors in our house, just screwed straight into the door, 3 screws per hook. Just be careful not to spin the screw once it is tight enough.
One of the hooks fell off after a couple of years due to my young son tying a rope to it for some reason. The other is still on after 7 years and holds dressing gowns with no trouble

masona said:
big-all said:
You almost right, it was MASONA ;) :LOL:

See this for Hollow Door Fixing

thanks masona :D :D ;)
its usualy jasonb when fixing come up :eek:

jgreer said:
Do you guys think this will be able to hold towels and dressing gowns without breaking the wood?
See how it goes, must have right size hole & screw to benefit, if you are still having problem then read Thermo post. I have use them with a 3 coat hook on a block of wood, so far, so good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back