Filling gaps in wooden floorboards - silicone sealant?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
About a year and a half ago we had our floorboards sanded, and the guy who did it filled the gaps with what I think was sawdust mixed with something. This looks fine but has fallen out in some places leaving gaps which are a bit draughty. I've tried filling some of them with brown decorator's caulk, which looked fine but started to fall out after a few months. I think this is because the boards are a bit creaky and move slightly, so over time the filling works loose. I tried brown silicone sealant (the sort used for sealing around window frames) in one place (it should be more flexible and hopefully might work better), but it looks a bit glossy. Does anyone know if i) using this sort of silicone is likely to work and ii) whether it's possible to get matte finish silicone sealant?

Sponsored Links
if the gaps are wide and keep opening up use a bead of silicone sealant as you have done but once youve applied it rake it out from the boards so its a little bit lower than the boards. once its dried use the sawdust mixed with wood adhesive to fill the gap and top it off. that way it will look natural, but the silicone should give the flexibitlity underneath to stop it falling out

I filled some gaps in my boards recently - the gaps ranged between ~1-8mm, for larger gaps i used lengths of newspaper rolled and shoved them down - they were long enough so that they would rest on the joists and besides they were rammed in pretty tight. Then I filled the gaps with B&Q brown interior frame sealant and it seems ok so far.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back