Filling in an old water well

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can anyone help with how to fill in a disused water well. We want to put up a conservatory and the foundations will go over it. Its 2.4m to the very bottom and 1.2m across, water depth is 0.8m. Seems to be well built using bricks.

The conservatory will be on a dwarf wall and will have polycarb roof.

An area of 100mm thick concrete about 5m x 3m has to be broken up, could this be used as infill ?

Thanks for any info

Sponsored Links
Hello snafu and welcome.
My main concern would be the fact that, the bottom of the well is below the water table and probably contains a good deal of silty material. This would make any infill likely to susbside, in due course.

I'd be inclined to knock the brickwork down to below ground level and then bridge across the well with a pre stressed reinforced concrete lintel. You could still use the well as a handy dumping ground for your broken concrete, but you wouldn't be relying on the infill to support your conservatory walls.

It's probably overkill, but these lintels aren't exactly expensive.

Thanks that makes good sense

The conservatory salesman was saying much the same thing... but being a salesman I wanted an independent view ;)

Cheers for your help

Sponsored Links
make a feature of it.

seen TW do it on tv looked really nice.

==============================
locked to prevent hi jacking

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back