Finding a Neutral Earth fault

Has BAS not noticed this thread?:)
Ayuh.

1. This is a spade:

non-branded-stainless-steel-digging-spade.jpg

2. This is an incompetent t**t who should be going nowhere near a CU replacement:
    ... So yesterday I stuck the thing in ...
  3. This does nothing so much as bring to mind the famous aphorism about what a diplomat is:
    However, there are 'ways and ways' of doing this, and I think there are 'diplomatic' ways
  4. better than asking 'embarrassing', almost sacastic , questions ('digs')
    Yes - heaven forbid this incompetent t**t should be embarrased... :rolleyes:
  5. Remember education is key not humiliation.
    Let's hope the incompetent t**t is humiliated into not doing things he can't cope with again.

Sponsored Links
The C&G 2391 pass rate is 49% I wonder why.
Presumably because 51% of those candidates who feel that they are competent to inspect and test are mistaken - at least in the eyes of the examiners. ... and/or some people who know that they are not competent decide to take the exam anyway, in the hope that they might pass 'by luck' (and can then launch into a career)!

Kind Regards, John.

Most of the comments are exactly correct.

Boss = missus!!

If I'd had the relevant tester(s) to hand, I would have done the tests suggested at the start. But since it's my own system, I'm a heating engineer, and there were no grounds to suspect any fault and I wasn't about to quote a fixed price to myself, I didn't test it. (Being a heating engineer, I have a Flue Gas analyzer etc. but not adequate electrical test kit to prove a system!)

Yes - I know that using RCBOs to 'test' individual circuits is not a complete check (or any check at all!) BUT with them in place the installation is 'safer' than it was before. There is also continuity on the CPC everywhere (especially on the power circuits) and I will get my electrician mate round with his test equipment when the dust has settled.

Meantime, by the simple expedient of disconnecting all the pendant fittings, the N-E fault has vanished! Now just a matter of rechecking (with a bit of daylight) exactly where the problem was, and reconnect the circuit at the CU.

Thanks for your help.

And, by the way, I don't consider that I've done anything that was even slightly risky, let alone 'dangerous' during the work described and I certainly don't consider myself to be a 't**t' even when working outside my own skill set. I would however be quite concerned if I found 'BAS' had been working on gas. With that attitude, there's every possibility of a risky assumption about required skills!!

Sponsored Links
Why not bite the bullet and get the qualified spark, who'll you need to come and and sign off on the work anyway, to help find the fault for you, showing you how he does it in the process.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back