fire doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help, I have to fit a fire door to my mothers flat,this will be her entrance door which opens from the flat into the main entry area and stairwell, there is a main entrance from the outside to this area so can my mothers front door be an internal fire door, if so, will an internal fire door afford the security to take a lock and will it take a letter box, or will I have to fit an external fire door to meet these requirements.

Sponsored Links
I am sure you will get some useful pointers here, but you also need to ask the Household Insurers as they may have requirements or recommendations

think you need to ask at the trade counter,iirc if you cut a letter plate into a fire door you will null and void the warranty.

Sponsored Links
IIRC you can use a lining for the slot, and a flap inside and out, to retain 30min. I think I've seen them. Look at Ironmongery Direct. the special lining may be intumescent material, I think the inner flap is just metal, bolted through to the outer plate with allthreads not woodscrews.

However, a letterbox in a door is an invitation to the semi-skilled burglar, who can reach through it with a simple home-made tool to turn or pull latch knobs and door keys.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back