fire extuingshers for rented property

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please tell me what kind of fire extinguisher should be in a rented property, and how many?

Sponsored Links
What types of fire extinguisher have you been trained to use?

Unless you know how to use one then you can sometimes do more harm than good. AFAIK it is not a legal requirement to have any in a rental property.

Fire alarms yes, extinguishers no.
From the link above:
There is no compulsory requirement to provide fire extinguishers or fire blankets in single occupation tenanted properties

However if you want to purchase some then this is your choice.

Sponsored Links
I know it is not a legal requirement, but I want to have them there because my tenants aren't very clever. However im sure i can gain training and train in how to use an extinguisher.

You ask an incomplete question and get an authoritative response within 14 minutes - what do you expect for free ?

lol. Im sorry I wasn't clear. I find the people on this site are great and responses are VERY VERY fast. I actually misread your earlier post and thought you advised to POST on Landlordzone. Sorry mate its a sunday and im banging my head trying to do many things at one time

Your best bet is to contact Fire Safety within your local Fire Brigade for advice.
Also check with your Insurance Company they may stipulate certain Fire Safety requirements

As an Ex Fire Brigade, my recommendation would be Fire Blanket for Kitchen, GP Water type Extinguisher and Co2 Extinguisher for electrical fires, but this is all down to type of property and usage
Not forgetting Fire Alarm system.

I was told by the local fire department that I should aim for a a13 rated extinguisher. Thanks for the info, I will phone once again tomorrow.

IMO a fire blanket would be of better use than an extinguisher as there is more chance of a chip pan fire in the kitchen than another sort where the tenant will know which extinguisher to use and how to use it.

If you leave water ones there then they are likely to use them on an electrical fire, get a shock and then sue you unless you train them and get them to sign that they have been trained.

If your really concerned about the property consider a sprinkler system and soak the whole place
:LOL:

"A" type fire extinguisher and kitchens (cooking fats and oils) don't go together. So whoever advised one of those might wish to reconsider.

Fire blanket is all the untrained person needs - and total avoidance of in-house smoking.

The one device type that genuinely saves lives are working smoke detectors.

In the event of fire you evacuate (the building). If it's rented then it's the landlord's insurance problem - all you need to do is ensure your personal belongings are insured.

Like crashed cars, houses can be replaced.

See this link for all you need to know on extinguisher types (if you feel you really do need one)
http://www.mfs-fire-extinguishers.co.uk/types.htm

there are companies that inspect fire extinguishers for rented HMO's for example

most of them also sell the extinguishers and fireblankets and will fit and recommend what you require

i think u will need a fireblanket near each cooker
and an extinguisher (not sure what type)
plus an additional extinguisher on each floor hallway

but obviously speak to an expert on your requirements[/b]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back