Fire regs for doors when converting attics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Went to look at a job today.

The customer mentioned that he plans to convert his attic into a habitable area (currently a 2 story end of terrace). He said he had been granted planning permission. I asked him if he will need to replace door liners and fit self closers (Perkos). He said that no one had mentioned it.

I recall that in the 80's, when my parents converted their attic, they had to fit Perkos and FD30 doors. Have the regs changed since then?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Yes, still require fire doors and strips on the escape route but no self closers required as no one used them. Rules changed back in the 2000's

Yes, still require fire doors and strips on the escape route but no self closers required as no one used them. Rules changed back in the 2000's

So will new door liners be required?, and if not, would thicker door stops suffice?

Can the strips be mounted in to the doors?

Sponsored Links
Reference to fire doors includes the lining/frame. Strictly it is a "fire door set", and if the lining is not suitable then the fire door is not a fire door.

It's not a case of adapting a lining or thickening the stops any more, what should happen is reference should be made to the door manufacturer's guidance and that will state what lining and stops are required.

Normally strips can go on the door or the lining

Planning permission is not the same as building regulations.

I expect the client will need both.

Maybe the architect is handling the applications (at extra cost)

Maybe not.

I did my own drawings and application, but it was for simpler work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back