Fireengine and brown water

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Wondered if I could ask for some advice.

Last Thursday there was a fire near our house which a fire truck/engine attended. Once the fire was put out the truck pulled up outside our house and seemed to re-fill using the water mains. That night all water was brown coloured but after a while seemed to clear - Just some crap that had been churned up I thought.

Over the weekend all seemed fine BUT our hot water is still coming through brown'ish. We run a combi boiler so I thought that just running through would be ok but it seems not. Checked with the local water authority and they advised to get a plumber in - I could do this but in these difficult times we are a bit short at the mo' so wondered if anyone could advise and/or offer some form of potential solutions?

Any help much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked with your neighbours to see if they are having the samr trouble?

Sponsored Links
If it's a combi it should be heating water direct from the rising main, the same water that supplies the cold tap. Running through should clear it but you might want to turn the combi off to do this, otherwise you'll be wasting gas.

Fire brigade should inform water authorities when hydrants get used. Contact the water board who should give you a credit on your bill for running your water to clear the brown water.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back