Fireplace/chimney advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

ive just has a back boiler removed from inside my chimney breast and was intending to replace it with a gas 'wood burner effect' stove. The problem is that the opening is far to small and needs enlarging. I've attached an image which should show the problem.

The flue is a precast concrete class 2 which seems to be supported at the bottom by a flue gather. The flue runs vertically for 300mm then off at a 45° then vertically again. I was expecting to find a lintel or brick arch somewhere above the gather but didn't. The breast it's self is not supporting the floor above as the joists run right through onto the supporting wall between the lounge and hallway.

Given the above info would it be feesable for me to remove the flue gather and first vertical 300mm of flue and insert a 1200mm concrete lintel to enable me to heighten and widen the opening?

Would I need supporting strong boys? Or would it be safe enough without?

Many thanks,
Tom

Attachments

• 20151012_191423.jpg
    20151012_191423.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 179
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back