firmware-what determines.....

Reaction score
Country
United States
this is not the same problem as such. but if i have two devices, one a router for the phone (voip) and a cable modem...how is it determined which one would need firmware....if that is the problem. the two were created to work together, yet i can keep the connection and have the phone but cant access web pages (well i can, but i keep getting cant find server and have to keep resetting the modem) and msn messenger will invariably log me out because of the lost connection...but i can sign right back in. no one (voip provider or cable company) will acknowledge that it is their prob.....which if i think about it...it isnt. it's mine. but i am trying to solve this dilemma. any suggestions....and yes i know things are different there....need more of a theory or tech solution...in laymans language please. thanks

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
this is not the same problem as such. but if i have two devices, one a router for the phone (voip) and a cable modem...how is it determined which one would need firmware....if that is the problem

Both have firmware. Firmware is just a computer program. Without the firmware, your modem and router are just a bunch of dumb electronics.

mlb3c said:
. the two were created to work together,

In theory, yes. However, you often find incompatibility or limitations between brands. You also get what you pay for in terms of connection reliability, bandwidth and configurabilty.

mlb3c said:
yet i can keep the connection and have the phone but cant access web pages (well i can, but i keep getting cant find server and have to keep resetting the modem) and msn messenger will invariably log me out because of the lost connection...but i can sign right back in. no one (voip provider or cable company) will acknowledge that it is their prob.....which if i think about it...it isnt. it's mine. but i am trying to solve this dilemma. any suggestions....and yes i know things are different there....need more of a theory or tech solution...in laymans language please. thanks

Can you provide details of your hardware, software etc.?

Edit.
I did a google and found this, which may provide an answer. If you are not sure what to do, post your router model.

Igorian,
thanks for your advice and the google item. turns out....i was lacking a DNS server address....which after several calls to vonage and people turning purple after hearing it's a Mac.....i think the problem is solved, although to be fair....i'm not convinced...yet. thanks for your patience. cheers :p

Sponsored Links
mlb3c said:
Igorian,
thanks for your advice and the google item. turns out....i was lacking a DNS server address....which after several calls to vonage and people turning purple after hearing it's a Mac.....i think the problem is solved, although to be fair....i'm not convinced...yet. thanks for your patience. cheers :p

You should get that automatically from your DHCP server.

Back