first course of tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,
i'm ready to start tiling my new garage,
it's 7.5m X 6.5m with a hipped roof,
i'm using redland mini stonewolds,
how much overlap should i give over the truss ends?
i'm using felt support trays aswell,

thanks,
neil

Sponsored Links
thanks for that,
on the redland website it says to start from the right,
do you find they go down better/look better starting from the middle?
cheers,
neil

You start from the middle, as catlad said. Stick to this rule on any roofing job and you won't be far from spot on!

Sponsored Links
If you are tiling a hipped roof using plains with bonnets or arris hips then you start at the hip and work to a cut in the middle.

Interlocking tiles are easier to lay from the right by design, but I would suggest you lay the first coarse without nailing, and then you can move them left of right to suite. When you get to half way up your roof think about how your rows of batons are going to work out to the ridge. You can take 5-10mm off the last 7 or 8 rows to make that work out.

there is nothing to be gained starting in the middle, right to left is correct and easiest.better still you lined the roof out but i'm not going into that.
if you tile left to right it's sligtly harder..

you cannot cut interlocking tiles mid course

thanks guys,
i've got all the batons worked out so they are even all the way up,
was gonna start this morning but theres a hard frost,
finally,
do i take the last baton right to the top or leave a gap?
i was gonna leave about a 30mm gap,
cheers,
neil

Leave a gap offer a tile up on the top baton is the easiest way to work it out, normally 30-50mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back