First Dishwasher wasn't draining, now Washing Machine...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Before I start, I just wanted to warn you I have NO idea when it comes to this stuff, so sorry if I'm not describing the situation well enough.

We have a dishwasher and a washing machine in undercounter cupboards next to each other. The previous owners of our house used it for their washer and dryer, but we wanted a dishwasher.

Both appliances use the same waste pipe, with a splitter.

We have a 9 month old dishwasher, that worked fine for 8 months, but recently stopped draining properly, then stopped draining at all. We called an engineer out under the warranty. He came today and said it was to do with the level of the waste pipe in the splitter. (This seems odd as it worked fine for 8 months) He said the dishwasher waste pipe was too low. He swapped the washing machine (which was apparently higher) and dishwashers waste pipes around. He said that he tested both, and everything was now working.

However, this afternoon I've put the washing machine on and now it's not draining. We've previously had no problems at all with this. It must be a direct result of what he did to it this morning.

Does anyone know how we can make this set up work? (As I said before, it seemed to work fine for 8 months)
I now have a load of water and towels stuck in the washing machine.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Welcome to the forum.
Both drain pipes should be at the same height, I think about 3ft, ensure cannot syphon back.
Get a plumber in, wont take him long to do that.
Then if you have problems you can rule that out

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back