First Pyre

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the local paper up my way on the front page the head lines read ( NORTH STAGES FIRST PYRE )

In other words a mans body placed on a pile of wood and set a lite, it was a traditional hindu-sikh ceremony. it's never been performed here before.
Do you think it was ok the get the go a head, and will it open the door for other religions to do the same, ?
I mean other religions cremate there love one's, so does that mean anyone can go into a field and cremate one of there own, ?
Not that i personally would want to do/see it.
Any thoughts from you lot, would you want to do that, ?

Sponsored Links
markie said:
In the local paper up my way on the front page the head lines read ( NORTH STAGES FIRST PYRE )

In other words a mans body placed on a pile of wood and set a lite, it was a traditional hindu-sikh ceremony. it's never been performed here before.
Do you think it was ok the get the go a head, and will it open the door for other religions to do the same, ?
I mean other religions cremate there love one's, so does that mean anyone can go into a field and cremate one of there own, ?
Not that i personally would want to do/see it.
Any thoughts from you lot, would you want to do that, ?

well, aslong as he was ok with it ;)

I suppose if the commital is hygenic and respectful, people may as well be allowed to do what they want with their remains.

An old chaplain of mine took the view that his body may as well be thrown on a compost heap. After he'd finished with it, it was no more important than an old coat that he'd stopped wearing.

The funeral is for the benefit of the bereaved, to help set their minds at rest.

JohnD said:
An old chaplain of mine took the view that his body may as well be thrown on a compost heap.

Good idea - let it rot and then plants can use it! That is what I'm going to have after donations - buried in a wicker coffin then a tree planted on top. (OK so not literally throw on a compost heap, but you get the idea).

JohnD said:
After he'd finished with it, it was no more important than an old coat that he'd stopped wearing.

Er, no. Plants could use it to grow! Hence the comment from the chaplain?

Cremation is a waste, as is being buried in a lead coffin. Give back to nature what you have used!

Sponsored Links
Cremation also adds to Global Warming.

joe

Does cremation burn up the nutrients in a body ? I ony ask because I know you can use wood ash as a fertiliser, so some good must remain in there.

As for DIY pyres, they're not my cup of tea, but as long as my neighbour's give me enough warning to get the washing in, then its fine with me. AFAIK though, the one in the North-East was done illegally, so this story may still have some legs in it.

I think I saw something once about people living somewhere rocky and sunny (I like to be complete when giving this info ) where they just stake the dead out and let the birds do the rest.

johnny_t said:
I think I saw something once about people living somewhere rocky and sunny (I like to be complete when giving this info ) where they just stake the dead out and let the birds do the rest.

It isn't quite as simple as that, and involves a long drawn out religious ceremony, but that is about the jist of it,yes. It's the Zoroastrian faith of the Parsees, an old (now much suppressed) religion from Persia (mainly Iran). Freddie Mercury was a follower (however he was cremated). Check here: http://www.avesta.org/ritual/funeral.htm

if they want to do this ceremony then i say go to where your religion is based
if your a hindu take your remains to india etc

we dont want none of that here

Slogger said:

So if you're a Christian, take your remains back to Palestine?

Slogger obviously isn't or he'd be familiar with their teachings "Love thy neighbour" and "Lord, who is my neighbour?" which exemplifies the absence of boundaries of religion, origin, and nationality.

JohnD said:
Slogger said:

So if you're a Christian, take your remains back to Palestine?

Weird. :rolleyes:

What if I'm a pagan, or an animist? What do I do then? Please help.

Slogger said:

what's the difference in doing it outside or in a brick built buiilding?

What is the actual point you object to in this?

the fact that it's not confined inside a building or the fact that Non english people are involved?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back