First time LED telly owner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
Just a few questions after reading the manual of an LED telly I've just bought.

1. the manual says there's a risk of screen damage due to watching in 4:3, or by channel logo damage (viva channel logo is on all the time.. including during adverts!) Is the risk as bad as stated?

2. It also mentions, once a year, the tv should be opened up and cleaned inside by a trained technician. Is that usual for these tellys?

Sponsored Links
think this was for the old plasma type tv's.
i:e if you used it for a games console etc.then the image could burn into the screen.

2nd question,i think its just another way of them spending your hard earned.
all my tv's are led now and there a few years old and never been looked at.

Totally don't need to clean dust out of expensive electronics. They work just fine past their rated operating temperature. :rolleyes:

I think that was sarcasm. ;)

If you have a dusty environment (carpets, cats, open fire, etc) you'd be amazed by the amount of fluff and dust that builds up. I once opened up a TV and NOTHING was visible inside. It was packed tight and looked like the inside of a vacuum cleaner bag! I filled a bucket with the stuff. No wonder it "sounds like arcing inside". It could easily have caught fire.

However, you have to be a little cautious when cleaning inside.

1. Wear cotton clothing - nothing all synthetic such as tights (because such clothing generates static electricity.
2. Disconnect mains power at the wall.
3. Label all connections.
4. Photograph connections.
5. Remove all connections.
6. Place on a stable, flat surface and remove cover screws.
7. Put screws into containers or compartments that won't easily be knocked over. If your memory is as bad as mine, LABEL the compartments so you know which screws go where.
8. Remove cover and place in a safe place.
9. Touch the metal chassis (equalises your body potential with the TV to minimise possibility of static electricity damage).
10. Carefully remove large pieces of fluff.
11. Gently brush away dust - especially from heatsinks.

Although it's much easier to suck out all fluff and dust with a vacuum cleaner, there is a high risk of static discharge so I recommend not using one, unless you have a miniature one that's specifically designed for the job. It should have a metal nozzle that is connected to the TV chassis with a clip wire.

8. I was going to add a link to a You-tube video showing a vacuum cleaner nozzle arcing but I can't find it. Sorry!

Sponsored Links
Very expensive air! I think they are safe to use but the dust will go everywhere.

Reminds me of a friend who decided to use the local garage air line to blow out his old valve TV. It blew out the valves and filled the TV with oil!

The last 50" TV I repaired was quite clean inside. A few puffs from my lungs was all it needed.

Removing the cover was a pain. About 30 screws - some well hidden! And you must use exactly the right type and size of screwdriver. Some people can't tell the difference between "Philips", "Pozidriv", "Torx" and "Hex" and end up wrecking the screw heads.

The last 50" TV I repaired was quite clean inside. A few puffs from my lungs was all it needed.

Removing the cover was a pain. About 30 screws - some well hidden! And you must use exactly the right type and size of screwdriver. Some people can't tell the difference between "Philips", "Pozidriv", "Torx" and "Hex" and end up wrecking the screw heads.

JIS..

I fail to see the sense in quoting my post, which is immediately above, then adding no meaningful comment of your own.

I fail to see the sense in quoting my post, which is immediately above, then adding no meaningful comment of your own.

If you don't know what JIS screw heads are, well, now's your chance to educate yourself and see the meaning of my post. Alternatively, seek stick-removal experts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back