First time render

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys how long shall I leave the render before I can put a plastic float on it? I got a small wall I want to render and want a smooth finish am I best using a float then a sponge? I did practice a small area yesterday I left it about just over a hour and tried floating it but the render was moving I'm asuming it was to wet plus when I put a sponge on it the sand in the render started to show any help apreciated

Sponsored Links
Did you scratchcoat the trial area first? Normally with cement render, you would scratchcoat the area first, then leave it for a couple of days or so. Your mix would be 4 to 1 plastering sand and and cement, with an added plasticiser/waterproofer. This should be added to the mix in a "measured quantity", as specified on the container. Once the scratchcoat has set and cured, (1 or 2 days), you are ready to put on the top coat of render.
Once again, use plastering sand, and this time, the mix would be 5 of sand to 1 of cement. Again, use a measured amount of plasticiser/waterproofer in the mix. Choose a nice dry day, not too sunny, and about half an hour or so before you start, give the scrathcoated wall a slightly wet/dampen down, just enough to take away any suction in the scratchcoat. Once you're ready, apply the top coat of render, keeping it as neat and flat as you can. Because it's just a small wall, you wont need to wory about using a straightedge, although a darby would help. Once it's all on, leave it to tighten up. After half an hour or so, touch the render with your fingers, you'll feel it getting firmer, you'll know the difference. Don't fiddle with it too early though, otherwise it will "slump" or move about as you said. With experience, you'll know when it's ready to float up, by the "feel" of the render. Go over the render once with the float, then leave it a while. Let it go off a bit more, then go over it again with the float. Keep going over it with the wooden/plastic float until you're happy with the finish, the look of the surface, and the eveness of the render. Once the render has been completely floated up, then use a "clean" sponge", and "gently" rub the render in a circular motion, working across the wall starting from the top. The sponge gives the render a nice, even looking finish. Always remember too, that the render at the top of the wall will tighten up/dry out, a little quicker than the bottom, so always dponge the render carefully. Another very important thing as well, is to keep your sponge CLEAN. Give it a good wash out every couple of minutes in clean water, and wring the sponge out well each time.
Give it a go Adrian and see how you get on. It's hard to explain in words, (easy to demonstrate), but with a little time and experience, plus learning from your mistakes, you'll pick it up.

Last edited:
Thanks mate that will help me loads. Ye I did put scratch coat 4 to 1and left it a day then applied the top coat 3 to 1 as I was told by a friend. Maybe il try a 4 to 1 next will it make much difference?

Adrian,
If you put on, say, a 4 to 1 scratch coat, then your topcoat should be 5 to 1. The same as, if putting on a 3 to 1 scratch coat, then the top coat should be 4 to 1. Always make the top coat slightly weaker than the scratch coat.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back