fit a light using existing wiring from cooker hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I was trying to fit a light using existing wiring where a cooker hood had been, this was in a fused terminal, so i assumed one set of 3 core cable would be incoming live and the other would go to the hood, so my plan was to fit a wall switch to live incoming then from switch t the light but when checking which was incoming cable i discovered both sets where actually live,
totally stumped now
the fuse has been removed since we got possesion of property

Sponsored Links
Hi When trying to fit a light fitting using the wiring that had fed a cooker hood, there was a fused switch with two cables assuming one was supply to the fuse and the other fed the cooker hood. i fitted a wall switch wanting to put the live to the switch and the switch up to the light, when check which was the incoming i discoverd both were live , that stumped me
any advise welcome, the fuse has never been installed all the time since we took over property

hope this is ok

Attachments

• 20231027_101424.jpg
    20231027_101424.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
do know if these are any better
i tested by wiring a plug socket to each line and trying in socket tester

Attachments

• diynot.jpg
    diynot.jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231027_101412.jpg
    20231027_101412.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 25
  • diy.jpg
    diy.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 30
Sounds like it is a ring final with the appliance cable removed and you are left with the 2 legs of the ring. Post pictures of it and the consumer unit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back