Fitted wardrobes frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm about to buy some fitted wardrobe cabinets from http://www.diywardrobes.co.uk - and I just need a little advice regarding the frame.

The wardrobes are 2800h, 2900w, 600d

I was thinking of using kitchen unit plinth feet to set my wardrobes on to give me the flexibility of levelling whilst I was building it, but these are around 150mm high, and my top and bottom plinth will be 80mm each (and I want them the same).

My next solution is to simply span a 3m length of wood across the floor, 80mm high, and ensure it is level. I will offset it 18mm back and then stick the scribe pieces to the frame to achieve the fitted wardrobe look.

Any suggestions on what I'm about to do, and if there is a simpler way? I've never done this before.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What about making up a ladder frame from 2 x 2 or 3 x 2 planed softwood, levelling that on packers, fixing down and then installing the wardrobe on top?

Sponsored Links
Actually, yes it does come with everything in the price - I assumed it didn't, but after speaking with them they told me they provide either the kitchen plinth legs, or will actually knock up a ladder base made from birch ply with adjustable feet.

The ply setup will be more square than using softwood battens, which can bow, and the ladder they create is obviously cut using their machinery.

Hehe, I think that's what I designed today. Is this what you mean by the ladder frame?

Ladder frame goes on the floor and is levelled. The carcase (basically a box) is built on top of the ladder frame, so you need end panels, top, bottom and back. No need for a ladder frame at the top where it would serve no purpose unless the unsupported width is very wide

Ladder frame goes on the floor and is levelled. The carcase (basically a box) is built on top of the ladder frame, so you need end panels, top, bottom and back. No need for a ladder frame at the top where it would serve no purpose unless the unsupported width is very wide

Cheers, the place I'm buying it from said similar in that the top ladder wasn't necessary.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back