Fitting a gulley riser, new problems found.

Sponsored Links
Don't worry about leaving it over night.

Get yourself a beer, you did a good job :)

I'll finish it in the morning, hopefully a bit dryer. Since I won't be rushing, I may go and look for that gravel, and I'm considering whether I can get a curved plastic pipe that can replace the clay segment, as I remember seeing some today that where quite long, removing the need for a massive 3m pipe.

Anyway here is the beautiful piece of pottery that has had me buying angle grinders and putting my hands in crevices.

The bottom hadn't collapsed, but there was a chunk of metal and bricks and only come loose when I lifted it out and it fell apart. Even then I had to smash it with a hammer to free it. As you can see, the vertical part was completely fragmented and seperate from the main part.
IMG_20170106_153521_hdr.jpg

Cheers for all the help so far, really appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Your welcome.

What do you usually do for work?

Really do appreciate it, I would of either destroyed it all by accident or still be stood there poking a stick down it. I'm in the armed forces (y)

About this black pipe then? Got a couple of 20-30cm lengths, reckon I get away with that?

Mortar applied, just waiting for it to dry. Says quick drying, 15 to 30 minutes. Been longer than that. Mortar is certainly firming up, reckon I can just fill it in? I've seen grids with gravel around them, is this for appearance or does it have a practical use? My concern would be gravels dropping down drain.

As long as the black pipe is the right size it will be ok.

I'd mortar around the gully. As well as gravel falling in the gully you could get water passing the gravel into the ground.

The mortar will be slower because it's cold.

So, its functional now. I had nothing to complete the surround. I'm thinking dig soil out, bed some 10mm gravel, then mortar/concrete a bed for the nice concrete square surround I saw?
IMG_20170107_123524_hdr.jpg
IMG_20170107_142135_hdr.jpg
IMG_20170107_142144_hdr.jpg

You could just mortar on the soil and put a slope down to the gully top. A bit like this:

image.jpeg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back