Fitting a gulley riser, new problems found.

Once you clear it put a load of water down all at once. If it's clear it will flow away.

Can you feel that it goes back up again and definitely has a trap?

Sponsored Links
but we can see from the top that it's broken?

But we don't know if it's a gully, a riser or a rest bend until it's clear.

Sponsored Links
I have a favourite spade, Excalibur!!! It's indestructible :)

There he is :)

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

IMG_20170106_114125_hdr.jpg
IMG_20170106_114135_hdr.jpg
Cant tell if its a trap or not, but whatever it is, it has collapsed at the bend. So I'm going to have to dig it out I presume?

PS. Found a spade in the garden :mrgreen:

IMG_20170106_120751_hdr.jpg
So its a trap anyway. I take it I have to take that out and put a new one in? It looks like its cemented at the connection. Can I just chip it off, take it out and stick a new one in?
IMG_20170106_120738_hdr.jpg
it will probably be a plastic one too right?

That's a nice neat dig!!!

You could chop it off very carefully and mortar plastic into the collar.

This is the gully I mentioned but there are more and you won't need a riser.

image.jpeg

You would put a piece of plastic in where you can see my thumb, that would sit in the clay collar tight upto the pipe and you simply mortar the collar.

Where abouts are you? Someone could give you an off cut of pipe to save you buying a 3mtr length.

I won't show you where the soil has gone, but let's say the flower bed is about a foot higher. Would a plastic to clay adapter do the trick? Everything I have seen is push fit, but can I put anything else on it for extra security? Can I use house bricks instead of some granular aggregate ( :sneaky: ) stuff?

You would put a piece of plastic in where you can see my thumb, that would sit in the clay collar tight upto the pipe and you simply mortar the collar.

Where abouts are you? Someone could give you an off cut of pipe to save you buying a 3mtr length.
Bootle Merseyside. I've had a look and I've seen a gully that's the same shape as the one already there, and a separate hopper to go with.

A like for like swap would be easiest. Is the one you saw a clay or plastic one? Only trouble with them is that you won't have a permanent access to the drain like you would with the 4D900

Which ever you use just bed it in 10mm pea gravel.

Modern plastic is mainly push fit but old clay are in short sections joined at collars like your gulley is to the pipe.

In theory you remove the mortar and then lift out the broken gulley but doing this will most likely break the collar or worse send a crack into the pipe leading away causing you to expose more and more as it happens again at each junction.

The safest bet is to slice the clay pipe with a diamond saw blade just below the collar bulge. A fernco rubber adaptor can then be slid over the clay pipe and the short section of pipe and new gulley laid in plastic.

The safest way to do it is cut it clean through with a 6" stihl saw. A normal 4" one wont cut right through.

As 1990 said you can do it with a 5" grinder with guard removed but its not super safe and if you have to rent something anyway the 6" stihl is the right tool.

Will sharp sand do? That's all I've got in garden. And loads of house bricks. I see what you mean about that pipe. I'm going to take the old one out now, (pointed chisel on the cement?) And see how much pipe I need. There is a few building sites around could go and ask them. Dont think I could get a 3m length in the car.

IMG_20170106_134828_hdr.jpg

Got two different adapters for clay pipe and two different grids just in case.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back