Fitting a gulley riser, new problems found.

Sponsored Links
That adaptor with the rubber fins (S464 or something) isn't realy the right fitting but it would push inside the clay and do the job. You would need a piece of plastic between that and the gully that's just 13cm long.

A guy I work with just slits the top half of the pipe with his grinder, sticks his spade in the crack and severs it off. It does come off neatish but a bit rough for me.

An angle grinder with a diamond blade.

If I were you I'd carefully break the gully first and you should be able to pull the gully outlet from inside the mortar, before you remove the mortar.

I don't have any of those tools, sounds expensive. Can I do it with a hacksaw, and do the spade trick?

Sponsored Links
You could try. The clay on the inside is quite soft.

It would be better to cut all the way through if the hacksaw does it.

I would seriously doubt a hacksaw will work. Do you know anyone who has an angle grinder you could borrow?

As 1990 says you could break up the gulley with a hammer and once in pieces you may be able to get it out of the collar but as mentioned but the risk here is breaking the collar (not a big deal) or cracking the remaining pipe in the ground and that is a major pain in the ass. Using the right tool will cost you maybe £30 but will make it risk free. Trying to chip and break it may work but has the risk of having to dig and expose more and replace it too.

A passing builder, road work gang etc will all have a stihl saw in the van and for a fiver would i'm sure slice it for you.

the gulley and the pipe are probably mortared together at the socket. You could experimentally try scraping at the mortar with an old screwdriver. If it is cement mortar, though, it will be very hard and strong due to being wet and curing for 100 years.

Try very hard not to crack or damage the socket or pipe. The gulley is rather heavy so don't let it hang on the pipe.

edit
as neo says

p.s.
I can't see. Has the old one fractured at the bend?

Bought a cheap angle grinder.why would I use it without the guard?

I cut a square in the top of the pipe and then sink the grinder through to make a neat cut. With the guard on I couldn't sink it through.

Your hole is nice and big so you should be able to work round with the guard on.

IMG_20170106_152526_hdr.jpg

Reckon that's enough to do the spade trick?

Well the spade trick worked. Was putting the adapter in and the next not of pipe was wobbly, had a dig, and the mortar was loose. All other parts are intact, mortar come off easy enough. Shall I remortar it on with the adapter, then start putting a bed down for the gully? Going to lay a square base with bricks, then fill it with sharp sand?

is the ground soft mud now? If so it will probably move as it dries out. Dig out the mud and consolidate (bash) the base.

Advantage of plastic is it doesn't crack so easily, if you have a rubber connector it will flex a bit.

Its too wet. Not sure how much it is going to rain. Can I leave it over night? I might just go and get that pipe and finish it now

Have a temporary fix, 99% of the water is coming out of down pipe, so the new gully has been parachuted in.

I could leave it over night, but I'm wary of freezing. Or I can go and get some of that gravel, make a new bed after I've bailed some water out, and attempt it in the dark.

PS I have two pieces of black pipe, both about 20-30 long. Can this work?

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back