Fitting a new shower tray and tileing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I installed a quadrant shower cubicle at my parents house last year, since then they've had some may problems with the joint between the tiles and the tray leaking i've decided to re-do it.

I must admit, when i initially fitted the cubicle i didn't have much experience and used a bath strip to make the joint between the first row of tiles and the tray. I've since read that i should have simply left a gap of around 2mm between the tiles and the tray and then used sanitary sealant to fill this gap, is this correct?

Basically i really don't want the thing to leak again but would like confirmation regarding the best way to seal between the tiles and the tray.

Any general advice regarding the fitment of the tray wold also be greatly appreciated!

fyi: the new tray does not have an upstand and the walls are brand new marine ply.

Sponsored Links
PLy isn't great, because it moves, a bit, and the wood isn't waterproof, though the glue is. There are waterproof board alternatives.

Haven't got its name, but look for a product which sticks to the outside of the tray, with a tarry sort of strip, leaving a thin rubber (floppy) upstand which you can put behind the bottom row of tiles. Comes on a roll
Rubber is blue, glue red.
Don't rely on a small bead of silicone (mauve) if you don't use a product like that, fill the whole gap (yellow) with silicone. Grout here shown green.

image002em.gif

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back