Replacing shower tray

jar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Due to a crack in our plastic shower tray I need to replace it. I thought this would be "reasonably" straightforward - ha !!!

I've now discovered that the design of the shower tray has a (1/2 - 3/4 ")ridge or lip at the sides and back (doing a bit of searching it looks like it's called an "upstand" ??) which was behind the tiles in the shower cubicle.

Not knowing this before I started I've loosened the tray and it has come away from the tiles, obviously taking whatever grout etc was attached at the back of the tiles - the tiles themselves are OK.

Because the tray was behind the tiles it is actually too wide to get out of the cubicle as there is plasterboard to the front of the tray and obviously the tiles above it. I think my options are, either remove the bottom row of tiles in the cubicle or wreck the plasterboard to the front.

My problems/questions are:

If I do manage to get the tray out somehow should it be OK to fit a replacement back in without removing the existing tiles - i.e add some grout to the back of the tiles and fit the new tray back as before ? It's only the bottom 1/2 " or so of tile which isn't attached to anything just now.

If I need to remove the bottom row of tiles, what are the chances of not damaging the plasterboard behind or is that a given ??

Anyone recommend where I can get a similar tray to the one I have ? I've done a quick search before posting this and have found some in stone resin - I'm just looking for a cheaper option as we will probably be overhauling the bathroom in the future and I'm reluctant to spend hundreds of pounds just now.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back