Fitting a security light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a basic 500W outdoor security floodlight and would like to install it on my premises for the added security.
This one does not have motion detector. I already have a motion detector light currently in place. I would like to wire this into an off switch and turn it on when I leave and leave it on.
My questions are will this light eat the electricity as I will have this on from 6pm to 8pm the next morning 7 days per week.
Would I be right in thinking that the amount of juice it will use would be roughly equivalent to 5 standard 100W bulbs?
Will this be OK to wire into my current lighting circuit?
And finally is there any way I can rig this up to work off a timer so that I can control the times it switches off.
In simple language guys as I am not familiar with the jargon used here.
Thanks for your advice.

Sponsored Links
The cost will depend on what your tariff/plan is and would be a mutiple of that and your usage.

So for example your usage:
energy transferred (kWh) = power (kW) × time (h)
kWh=0.5 (kW of lamp) x 14 (hours in use)
kWh=7 units

So if your tariff was on say 15p per unit the cost would be:
15p (cost per kWh) x 7 (h) x 7 (days in week)
=735p or £7.35

You may find that using a 500w lamp would not be to your neighbours liking (if you have neighbours that is) and reducing to 100 watt could/would be a better option.
You can also buy automatic sensors that only switch during the hours of darkness or if it is a timing issue rather than natural day light, there are timers that can be used.

Thanks for the feedback. Appreciated.

I have now been looking for an outside security light that has a timer on it that will turn itself on and stay on all nite when it gets dark and turn off when it gets light in the morn.

Can anyone recommend one or provide a link or site to one that I can purhcase today if possible. I think that would solve my problem.

I have been scouring through loads but they are just showing motion detectors but that is not what I want.

Thanks

Quick solution if it is time critical to have it working. Buy a plug in timer and connect the security lamp via a 13 amp plug. Then when there is time do the install properly.

The plug means you can fully isolate the lamp should it develop a fault.

Don't forget all night lights make it easier for criminals to see what they are doing as they break into a house and locals ignore them ( or write letters of complaint ). A lamp coming on in the early hours may attract more attention and response but it still helps the intruders.

Sponsored Links
You could get a dusk till dawn master plug or even fit a dusk till dawn sensor switch across the light you have already purchased.

Thanks, that is a good idea. I will try that as a temperary measure. I take it a standard light circuit cable will be suitable?

Also anyone knowing of where I can still purchase the above light would help.

This property is in the country off a darkcountry lane, no neigbours. I have lots of security in place due to a couple of unwanted visitors.

One incident the locked gate was lifted off its hinges and laid down and a hole was cut in the fence on another occasion. Both incidents were odd and resulted in nothing further.

I think its only a matter of time.

Thanks for your help

You do realise you'll be breaking the law by installing this?

And if there are no neighbours to see what's going on, and the light is on all the time anyway so nobody would be alerted to anything by it coming on, all you'll be doing is providing lighting for burglars to work by.

My property has CCTV installed and an all night light will assist with these being seen by intruders and help with capturing the images better. That is one reason why I want it on. The property has a loud GS dog in it so unless they use pepper spray on him which is possible, I don’t think they would go further. I need to get this place lit up for several reasons. Many of my installations are for visual deterrents if anything.
Having no lighting on this property makes this worse for various reasons where I am located. The property is also a business address and contains goods that will be sought after.

No, I do not realise that I will be breaking the law by installing this. What is it that is illegal in the installation of an all night security light? Are you referring to the plug and timer installation?

Please explain the illegal side of the above suggestions that have been given to me so that I can update my choices.
Thanks

I can understand the point of PIR controlled light as a sercurity measure in a highly visable area, in a residential area, such as infront of a garage that opens onto the road. Light comes on, highlights there being there, off they go, hopfully.

But I dont see any gain at all in a high power light running 24/7 in the middle of knowhere. You might as well burn tenners and let of CFCs.

Daniel

No, I do not realise that I will be breaking the law by installing this. What is it that is illegal in the installation of an all night security light? Are you referring to the plug and timer installation?

Please explain the illegal side of the above suggestions that have been given to me so that I can update my choices.
Thanks
Building Regulations Part L.

Can some one provide me with a link to this file so that I can brush up on it.

Thanks for the link James

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back