Fitting a shower pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

My shower has v poor pressure/performance. It's a standard central heating type with the cold feed coming from the header tank and the hot coming out of the top of the cylinder. I've heard about these 1.5 bar shower pumps you can buy, would one of these make a big difference? Are they difficult to fit for an enthusaistic DIYer?! ;) Do you need to switch them on and off, or are they "load sensing" and kick in when the water starts flowing? I'm always a bit dubious when we start mixing water with 'lectric.........

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Indeed you can buy shower pumps that boost the flow. It is often better sited in the airing cupboard next to the HW cylinder and should be powered by a 3amp fused spur ( although 'Salamander' pumps come supplied with 3 amp plug fitted ).

The cold supply needs to be a new feed tapped from the cold water storage tank and into the pump.

The hot can be fed from a number of ways depending on what make of pump you buy. Surrey or Sussex flanges are the better ways to get a uniques feed from the hot water cylinder. Some makes allow you to tap off from the domestic HW supply providing it is the first draw off.

You also have to ensure that the pipework is sized correctly to and from the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back