Fitting a shower to globe taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just moved into a new house which has an old enamel bath and some globe taps (like these) and there's currently no shower so we've had to buy one of those horrible cheap rubber jobs from Argos to fit over the taps.

I'm at a loss searching around for something nicer that will fit on these god awful taps and wondered if anyone had any suggestions on where I might be able to find something nicer (and with a much longer hose that means I don't have to sit in the bath to have a shower) and if there's anything that fits on globe taps?

Cheers,

Sponsored Links
You need to be aware that although a few globe taps are still manufactured and sold (Bristan), water authorities take a very cautious view of permitting their installation. As globe taps are fitted within the bath, the tap outlet may be lower than the bath 'overspill' level, meaning that theoretically at least, (contaminated) bath water may be drawn back into the supply pipes by backsyphonage. This applies to numerous other water fittings and some water authorities interpret the water regulations as a ban on such fittings. They may be permissable provided that double check valves (to prevent backflow) are fitted to hot and cold supplies to the taps. However, the fitting of any sort of shower accessory that may drop into the bath water will greatly increase the backsyphonage risk. As your taps are already fitted and in use you may be able to continue to use them, as installed, but beware of falling foul of water reg's if you attach a shower accessory. I am not aware of any proprietory shower fitting designed to attach to globe taps but if you do locate and fit one you should seriously consider retro-fitting double check valves as a safeguard.
Hope that helps.
Ron

Hi, I know this is 2 years on but I have the same problem you spoke of re Globe taps and no shower attachments. I've been trawling the internet to try and find globe taps with a mixer shower complete. Why aren't they made like the ones for conventional taps that fit on top of the bath?
Did you have any luck at all? Or do I have to suffer the hideous rubber shower indefinately?Thanks!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back