Alternatives to Globe Taps

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old, refurbished roll top bath which we installed about 25 years ago. It has old globe taps fitted. As I now have a bit of arthritis in my hands, turning the crossheads to turn the taps off and on is only going to get more difficult in the future. So, I would ideally like to change these taps for something with ¼ turn ceramic disc valves but still have something that's in keeping with the old style of the bath. My problem is that the only globe taps I can find are Bristan Renaissance Globe Taps (RS2 GLO C) - all other new taps of similar styles are out of stock or discontinued.

Another option I had wondered about was something like a Hudson Reed Topaz Wall Mounted Bath Shower Mixer with Shower Kit which is really intended as a wall mounted set up but has tap hole centres at 200mm apart which is the same spacing as the bath.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to whether the Bristan taps or something like the shower mixer would be feasible and would really appreciate any input or suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately, I haven't seen any that would be suitable. This is a photo of the current taps.
IMG_E0402.JPG

We have fitted bristan globe taps on a number of occasions
Well made high quality taps the ones you are looking at are quarter turn so very easily to use.
Easy enough to fit for any competent plumber.

Sponsored Links
I have an old, refurbished roll top bath which we installed about 25 years ago. It has old globe taps fitted. As I now have a bit of arthritis in my hands, turning the crossheads to turn the taps off and on is only going to get more difficult in the future. So, I would ideally like to change these taps for something with ¼ turn ceramic disc valves but still have something that's in keeping with the old style of the bath. My problem is that the only globe taps I can find are Bristan Renaissance Globe Taps (RS2 GLO C) - all other new taps of similar styles are out of stock or discontinued.

You need to state what type of system, you use for hot water, not all taps work with all systems - Is it a hot water cylinder, with a loft tank, combi boiler or what?

I suspect, if you turn the water off to one of the taps, remove the cross handle grub screw, then the handle, cover and finally the brass tap insert, and take it to a plumbing wholesaler, they would be able to offer a replacement, or a reviver kit to fit.

We have fitted bristan globe taps on a number of occasions
Well made high quality taps the ones you are looking at are quarter turn so very easily to use.
Easy enough to fit for any competent plumber.
Thanks Exedon.

You need to state what type of system, you use for hot water, not all taps work with all systems - Is it a hot water cylinder, with a loft tank, combi boiler or what?

I suspect, if you turn the water off to one of the taps, remove the cross handle grub screw, then the handle, cover and finally the brass tap insert, and take it to a plumbing wholesaler, they would be able to offer a replacement, or a reviver kit to fit.
The hot water is from an unvented cylinder.

I've only taken one of the taps apart once before - quite a long time ago to replace the washer and that was under the supervision of my husband!. There are grub screws on the handles but I can't get them to budge - probably because they are so old. If I remember rightly, what you have to do is unscrew the shroud (I think that's what you call it) and then lift it up a bit. Underneath this is a large nut which you then have to loosen off completely and then the whole top of the tap comes off in a oner. I don't think it is possible to fit a reviver kit to this unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back