Fitting a shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have replaced my old electric shower for new 10.4kw electric shower.
I moved it 6 inches from the original position which did not require any extra cable. I used the existing cable which is on its own circuit, 10mm cable and a 30amp fuse in consumer unit.

My problem is that it keeps on tripping out on high power setting. I read the shower instructions and I met all the requirements 30amp fuse ect...

Does anybody know why this is happening?

andy

Sponsored Links
A 10.4kW shower requires a 45A fuse and the cable & installation checked that it is adequate for the additional load.
Upping the fuse size is notifiable to LABC under part P.

Sponsored Links
seehig said:
so before u change that fuse/mcb...get on the phone :LOL: ...ha ha ..i ask u..

I believe that people are told if what they are doing is going to break the law, wether or not they take that advice is up to them and it is not up to me to make that decision for them.

Quite right Spark123, you can only give them your proffessional advice which should not influance them to break the law.

andrew.coates, who told you you could run a 10.4Kw heater on a 30A MCB? What is 10400/230?

45.2 AMPS!

Now you understand why it was tripping? :eek:

Andy, I very much doubt you have 10mm cable. I'm assuming your cable was of a spec that matched your 30 amp breaker - you probably have 6mm. I advise you check thoroughly, because otherwise, if you just uprate your breaker , its possible you could draw a current through the cable which is greater than the current carrying capacity of the cable , and because you would have such a high breaker (45A) , it will not trip out, which means that while you are showering , the rest of your house is going up in smoke due to the burning up cable!!!

Remember , cable is quoted in cross sectional area, to get the are use Pi (3.142etc). Area is Pi times the radius squared. Or it may be printed along the grey PVC sleeving of the twin and earth.

Then you have the question of whether your consumer unit is up to the job , so too your meter tails and main service fuse etc. If you are not competent to get this checked , then call someone in, because safety is paramount.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back