Fitting a switch to a table saw ??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys i have just bough a large homemade table saw , it has a really big electric motor on it that drives a belt for the blade , the only issue is the motor powers up just by plugging into the mains there has been no in line switch fitted

i have bough the unit in the pictures at auction yesterday but not to sure where to put the wires I'm looking to fit it in line between the plug and the motor but can anyone advise what goes were many thanks

Sponsored Links
^^ What he said ^^

PLUS Check that the overload relay is compatible and correctly adjusted for the rating of your motor.

Hi guys thanks for your reply

i have looked at the diagram although it is for a ads8
and mine is a ads7 the wiring looks the same

the diagram tells me to fit the supply to 1 and 5 and the motor
to 4 and 6 also to fit a wire between 3 and 2

can you tell me which numbers they mean for live and which
one for neutral

they say fit supply to 1 and 5 but is 1 live or 5

same with the motor is 3 live or 2

also once i remove the old bit of cable left in from past

use do i leave the smaller black patch cables in place

i am using this for standard electric not 3 phase or anything like that

cheers

mark

Sponsored Links
So, you know the bit on the diagram where it says "L" next to one wire and "N" next to the other wire... :)

Also, if your motor has an L and an N (if it cares; ac motors generally don't, and they generally have circuitry to ensure they spin in the right direction) then you can also infer which to connect to which from the diagram, as it shows exactly where the supply wires are routed..

The smaller black patch cables should be left alone- they're power to the electromagnet that holds the switch in the on position. The device won't function if you disconnect them

when a 3 pole contacter with overloads is used as single phase it is normal practise to pass the current through all 3 poles hence the link 2-3

Therefore its wired so current flows supply L in on 1, out on 2, back in on 3, out on 4 to motor Live.

Then moter N back onto 6 and hence to supply N which will be on 5

Hello many thanks for all your help :D

so just to confirm

Supply Live in 1
Supply Neutral in 5

Live patch cable from 2 to 3

Then

Motor Live in 4
Motor Neutral in 6

Many thanks

Mark

Yes, thats the easy part though.

The factory installed BLACK control wires also need to be wired correct, it looks preowned, so possibly they have been altered.

Also you need to ensure the COIL is 240 volt rated.

Also I think that WHITE thing is a MANUEL/AUTO selecter for the reset mechanism.
This MUST be set to Manuel as auto restarting a saw would be hazourdous

This MUST be set to Manuel
manuel-que.jpg

Hello

Ow ok i though all i was buying here was a motor switch..... just a basic in line switch that would turn the motor on and off it seems to be more of a complicated
setup than i wanted...

can you advise were the black patch cables should be fitted for a single phase setup ??

also i presume i would find the motor rating on the case..

what would be the case if the motor was less than 240v

No disrespect, but for your own safety, you may need someone a bit more clued up to do this job

You have brought a starter, this is correct and should be used on ALL motors over a certain size and likely your one.

It is a form of switch,
The green button does switch the motor on, but in addition, with a power failure or an overload on the motor, it would shut down and NOT start again UNTIL the red button/reset or green button is pushed.

This ensures the motor and in your case the blade dont start unexpectedly, which could happen if it was on AUTO.

the "patch" wires as you call them, should be correct and as shown in the drawing several posts back.
If the starter in its previous use had been combined with remote stop start buttons or similar then theres a chance they were altered, but from your pic it looks like that may not be the case.

You would know instantly if they were altered as the coil would not pull in and lock in, it has nothing to do with moter voltage, its the coil voltage that will have to be 240 volt, this would be labelled and visible on the coil body.

Hi guys i have just bough a large homemade table saw , it has a really big electric motor on it that drives a belt for the blade
Being a large homemade thing, does it have all of the safety features without which no commercially made table saw could be sold?

Hi guys i have just bough a large homemade table saw , it has a really big electric motor on it that drives a belt for the blade
Being a large homemade thing, does it have all of the safety features without which no commercially made table saw could be sold?

the only issue is the motor powers up just by plugging into the mains there has been no in line switch fitted
So that's a no then.
Made me laugh, then shudder a little. I'd love to see a pic of the saw, please.

Hi guys i have just bough a large homemade table saw , it has a really big electric motor on it that drives a belt for the blade , the only issue is the motor powers up just by plugging into the mains there has been no in line switch fitted

i have bough the unit in the pictures at auction yesterday but not to sure where to put the wires I'm looking to fit it in line between the plug and the motor but can anyone advise what goes were many thanks

What are the circumstances in which this saw will be used?

Just you in your man-cave, or employees?

That motor starter you have wants rewiring at least, its a mess.

What size is the motor on the saw?

Hi Thank you for you help guys but can i just say without sounding ungrateful
can you stop giving me full sellafield style health and safety checks.. and wise crack lol this is the reason nothing gets done anytime fast these days needing a ticket to push a wheel barrow...

its a simple frame with a large motor
belt driven to a spindle with a blade on
fitted inside a wood top

The saw has been used for years by the previous owner in the way of just plugging in switching the mains plug switch and when done switching off the mains power switch...

all i am wanting to do is fit a simple in line switch so that you don't have to pull the plug or turn off the power to switch it off
this saw is only going to be used by me and needs no building site sign of or nothing..

all i was wanting to know was if a splice the cable between the motor and the mains plug were does the live and neutral go from the motor end and where does the live and neutral from the plug end

which i think that has been explained

and also when using a mem ads 7
what else i need to correct for a simple standard phase setup also as someone mentioned adjusting something from auto to manual... i know the big red buttons switch behind it the little white one can be twisted from A to H

many thanks mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back