Fitting a Y Plan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have bought a Y Plan kit to start to fit on Monday. I am not a plumber by no means but feel capable of performing this task :eek: .

In the meantime i have capped off my flow and return to the boiler ready for Monday, could someone advise if the boiler is still safe to use until i fit the Y Plan, the Boiler is a Glow-worm Ultimate.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Sponsored Links
If you have capped off the flow and return to the the boiler then no it is not possible to use it.

Are you sure you feel comfortable doing this work yourself? :confused:

Agree with ACO, are you sure?

would advise that you bite thje bullet and get a competent person in to do this work for you.

ACOperson said:
If you have capped off the flow and return to the the boiler then no it is not possible to use it.

Are you sure you feel comfortable doing this work yourself? :confused:

It's not that i mind paying, i can't get anyone out to do it!! .... 2 plumbers haven't turned up when they said they would.

I have cranked up the boiler for 10 minutes and the radiators still get hot, although as you state it is not safe i wont use it, i have capped off the gravity flow and return now because the were difficult to get to and it's saved me 2 hours work on Monday.

I plan to do the following with the Y Plan Kit:

1. Cap off gravity flow and return (already done)
2. move my pump from under bath and replace it with a piece of pipe.
3. Pick up heating flow and fit my pump onto this in the airing cupboard, Then fit 3 port valve onto same run.
4. Connect correct end of 3 port valve to the cylinder coil on the flow (with an air vent)
5. connect a tank fed cold feed to the boiler flow.
6. connect heating return to lower cylinder coil connection.
7. Connect other side of 3 port valve to the heating flow.
8. Then wire it like it states (wiring by numbers, as in the kit)

This is what it looks like in the Y Plan kit i have brought, is this about right?

Sponsored Links
What about the exp pipe, by-pass and gate valves for isolation and balancing.

Standard is boiler flow > vent (22) > feed (15) > pump > 3 way valve.
COmbine the returns from the up and down heating, then on the way from there to the boiler return bring the HW return in.
Refer to the boiler instructions.
Spend a bit of time using the mains to flush through each rad in turn while you have things apart. Flush flux out after you've finished soldering, with a Cleaner or Restorer, and add inhibitor afterwards.

ChrisR said:
Standard is boiler flow > vent (22) > feed (15) > pump > 3 way valve.
COmbine the returns from the up and down heating, then on the way from there to the boiler return bring the HW return in.
Refer to the boiler instructions.
Spend a bit of time using the mains to flush through each rad in turn while you have things apart. Flush flux out after you've finished soldering, with a Cleaner or Restorer, and add inhibitor afterwards.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Understand everything you have said except the above in bold, does this mean i have to tee together the heating flow and return?

the hot water pipe from the top of the hwc has to come of horizontal for 450mm before going up into the loft and to the taps

JPC said:
the hot water pipe from the top of the hwc has to come of horizontal for 450mm before going up into the loft and to the taps
I'm intrigued by this snippet.

Do you mind revealing the grounds you have for saying this? I don't mean to appear challenging, but it seems that you know something that I don't, and I'd like to get my facts right that so I'm not installing incorrectly.

i was making reference to the off set pipe that should be placed near the top connection to the cylinder to stop/reduce one pipe circulation and heat loss up the vent pipe.
as many other numbers in plumbing a figure of 450mm was established as a minimum.

u know this already...i guess my post was confusing.

I didn't mean to challenge the specific number (450mm), I was just asking where it came from.

However, although your first post was clear, I'm now thoroughly confused.

Softus said:
I didn't mean to challenge the specific number (450mm), I was just asking where it came from.

I'm now thoroughly confused.

In this and other threads.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back