Fitting Energy Saving Downlights

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Can I have some advise on conecting 3 energy saving downlights to an existing 5 amp fused circuit and adding a separate one way switch to control them. Can I spur off the existing 5 amp circuit using a junction box? Where do I go then... Straight to the first of the three lights or the switch then daisy chain the lights?

If I do come off the existing 5 amp twin and earth what do I do with the earth wire, as the new downlights are double insulated.... Does this mean I can come off with just the live and the neutral 1mm wire?...... Please Help!!! :confused:

Sponsored Links
earth wires should never be missed out.. even if the fitting is double insulated.. most pendants are..

it is there in the off chance that you change the fitting at a later date to a metal one, or in this case to a 240V downlighter, whereupon you should earth the fitting..

also it is needed so that there is an earth at the switch..

in your case i would tap off a live feed on the existing circuit and run it to the switch..
they use either a double pole switch or a single and link the neutrals in the back of it in terminal block..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back